(813) 451-3702

Call Us For Free Consultation



Student Visas

Ikli Law Firm Services > Uncategorized  > Student Visas

Student Visas

There are two types of student visas available to those seeking to further their education in the U.S..

  • The “F” visa is for individuals pursuing academic studies.
  • A student under the F-1 category must be enrolled in a “full course of study” in an academic education program, in a school approved for the attendance of foreign students. Such schools will have authority from the Department of Homeland Security to issue Form I-20.
  • The individual must be proficient in English or must be enrolled in English language courses. Individuals in F-1 status may not, without prior approval, engage in employment in the United States. In addition, the individual: must have sufficient funds available to support themselves for the entire period of study, they must maintain a residence abroad, and must intend to depart the U.S. upon completion of their studies.

F-1 visa/status permits a student who meets certain qualifications to remain in the country for the duration of his or her degree program

  • The “M” visa is for vocational studies.
  • Students under the “M” visa M-1 students are admitted into the United States to attend vocational or technical schools for a fixed time period.
  • They may stay for the length of their training program plus any optional practical training, followed by a thirty-day grace period at the end of their training. Their stay may not exceed one year unless they are granted an extension for medical reasons.
  • If a student violates M-1 status he or she will no longer be eligible for the grace period.

(Source: USCIS)

Contact the Ikli Law Firm to discuss your plans to seek higher education in the United States, or for assistance with issues relating to your existing student visa.

No Comments

Leave a Comment